Thursday, April 19, 2007

The Return of the Voracious Reader...

I've always been a bit of an avid reader... right from the age of ten or so when my father, tired of seeing my brother and I at each other's throats all the time, got home an Enid Blyton novel and somehow convinced me that I would find reading the book more enjoyable than showing my brother who the boss was. I must have thought his claim ludicrous at that time, but the fact is that the Enid Blyton novel introduced me to a hobby that I've held on to steadfastly over the years.

My total lack of predilection for any particular form of writing or even genre, meant that I was never too far away from something I found engaging. Historically, I've been as entertained by a PG Wodehouse as I have by an Arthur Clarke, Wilbur Smith, Alistair McLean or even a Tintin comic book. My motto's pretty much been - "If it's there, I'll read it!!". So I've been more than a little concerned by my inability to get any reading of consequence done over the past year or so. In that time, I've started on an autobiography, a critically acclaimed piece of fiction and a light novel, and not managed to make any headway anywhere. I had previously never taken more than a few days to get through a piece of fiction, no matter how voluminous it was or how unoriginal a storyline it had, but was now having trouble closing a 150 odd page, large print, RK Narayan novel. Oh, the shame of it all!!!

So, it was with great trepidation and no great expectation that I launched my latest assault on the literary world. My target: "The Moon and Sixpence" by Somerset Maugham. I wondered for a bit whether a Somerset Maugham was an apt target in my weakened state, but decided to proceed anyways. And as I started with the book, a strange thing happened... I found that I was enjoying myself. The 120 odd pages I have scythed my way through so far have been an absolute delight, and for the first time in an year I'm beginning to believe that I might finally be able to get through a novel enjoying myself in the process. Well... it's still early days and a lot can happen, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed and thoughts positive. Hopefully, I can soon deliver news that'll be music to the ears of the multitude currently contending with a seemingly immovable "reader's block". And then... there'll be wild celebrations all around and the world will rejoice. Ok, not quite... but a man can dream, can't he? until later... cheers... 8-)

10 Comments:

At 12:27 AM , Blogger Kaushik said...

This post was almost like I was talking to myself! Except for the fact that I'm reading someone other than Somerset Maugham in a comeback bid...and I'm not being too successful at it.

Guess its times like these that help us appreciate the things we once took for granted!

 
At 11:27 PM , Blogger Pushuka said...

You said it, dude. Btw, I just got done with the S.Maugham.. a pretty interesting read :)

 
At 12:18 AM , Blogger Guru Kini said...

Macha, know what? I am going through the same "Reader's block" stage man! I think it is an epidemic!
I have struggled through the last few books I have read and currently am tackling the Vikram Chandra's stupendous 928p cops-and-robbers Bollywood script-ish "Sacred Games"!!!
As for Maugham, I vowed not to read any of his works after I finished 200-odd pages of his "Of Human Bondage". I don't think I will break the vow in a hurry.
Good to see you back in blogosphere.

 
At 9:58 PM , Blogger Pushuka said...

I can totally feel your pain, bro!! And it's good to be back blogging... :) What about you? Do you have a public blog yet after "arbit_thoughts" mysteriously disappeared?

 
At 10:42 AM , Blogger Guru Kini said...

Disappeared??? Not that I know of :(. In fact, my latest is called the Moronometer. Strange that you couldn't access it

 
At 9:04 PM , Blogger Pushuka said...

Ya... was finally able to get to your blog, dude. I had to google search the blog, and view cached pages to actually see the blog... Typing out the blog name in the address bar doesn't work... I think it's the "_" in your blog name...

 
At 3:57 AM , Blogger NITHIN RAMACHANDRAN said...

yeah ...great post....similarities galore...i couldnt have presented maself better ....

but yeah ...

o henry's ma god ....kinda adored that chap ...

favourites exist ...

only diff though is that ...

methinks...

"if its there , n my instinct tells me read it , then i do "

yeah i guess im instinctive about the books i read...

 
At 1:09 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

so what are you reading these days?

 
At 8:05 AM , Blogger Pushuka said...

Am reading something called "Introduction to Derivatives"... -sigh- What has life come to!! :)

 
At 8:20 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home